Grant Park Neighborhood Association

The GPNA Meeting Minutes

Grant Park Neighborhood Association
Board Meeting
Grant Park Church
Tuesday, January 8, 2008 7:00pm

The Meeting was chaired by Elizabeth Beeghly

In attendance:

Board Members in attendance:
Elizabeth Beeghly
Ron Laster
KC Davenport
Mary Cal Hanson
Geoff Hyde
Merryl Mix
Greg Sneller
Guest:
Amy Trieu for Commisioners Dan Saltzmans office

Agenda and Oct Board meeting minutes unanimously approved.

Concern was brought up RE: at large members not attending the minimum number of meetings according to the by-laws. It was recommended that we follow the guidelines in the by-laws to reduce confusion. Former members will be contacted an told about following by-law standards.

Spring Clean Up:
Elizabeth B. brought up the idea of possibly having 2 Clean Ups/year, one in spring and one in fall? Getting volunteers and coordinator is a concern. Will contact GHS & PICS for some student volunteers. No plastics or Styrofoam at next Clean Up. No one processed styrofoam at this time and Metro will be adding some more plastics to the weekly recycling program for the city of Portland. There will also be no neighborhood trade area. It was agreed to also increase rates to $10.00/car & $20.00 per truck as the dump charges more than $60.00 per load. Mary Cal will contact Kathy Bang and Mike Kinney to see if they'd like to help with Clean Up.

Land Use Issues:
- Boeing has withdrawn its proposal to emit more emissions in North Portland.
- there is an OLCC application for a husband & wife small wine selling business on Schuyler. Geoff raised issue about potential for increased number of larger delivery trucks on that street. OLCC doesn't look at live-ability issues, but business license will review traffic, noise & other public issues.
- Cell phone tower on top of Grant HS. Hollywood boosters are opposed due to the fact that the owner of the business is from out of town and therefore currently doesn't have a business license in Portland.
-7-11 on Sandy and 46th (?) has applied for a sign variance re: size adjustment. Will continue to follow up as more info becomes available.
Geoff will notify Katie with Land Use issues so that she can post it on our website.

Grant Park Development Review (GPDR):
Liz talked w/ both Lisa Turpel and Doug Capps who responded with the answer that the proposal is still in review within the Parks dept. The review from Parks will take some time so there's no other activity with this project. Liz also contacted Elizabeth K. Wong who recommended that we, GPNA write an official letter requesting more public input into the process. There is also a possibility of a Spring Open House. There will be no more football games at GP Bowl until the conditional use review has been completed.

Treasury Report:
Info unavailable as Ron hasn't been able to get info from Mike Heymann. Ron and Merryl have been talking about this board position. And how best to establish an accounting system that would be easily transferable to new board members. Ron did want to remind the board that the State of Oregon does require an accounting report twice a year and to make this as easy as possible to provide the info the state needs meet the Treasurer position too.

PICS School update:
The GPBC had a Clean Up of the church and ground on the 27th of December with a modest turn up due to the holiday season. Liz Alexander reminded us that there will need to be a 1st annual meeting between the Church, PICS and neighbors for updates and information sharing. This meeting will be scheduled sometime in late January or early February.

Newsletter:
Katie would like some help with writing articles and also to have written articles to her by January 25th so that she can edit/fit into the printing format. Ron has been talking with Greg Sneller the pastor at GPBC re: the possibility of the church printing the newsletter. We will try having the church do the printing for this newsletter. It might help facilitate bagging and distributing the newsletters for delivery to neighbors. Also there may be some significant cost savings (possibly about $200.00 per newsletter, currently the cost of a printing of the newsletter runs between $500.00-$700.00/issue). Ron will provide the paper. Katie will coordinate with Greg to see if this is a possibility from her and his end. Stay tuned. Someone must be at the machine the whole time the printing process is going on. We would also then try and call the delivery people to coordinate the pick up of the newsletters.

Grant Park Bowl Development report: nothing to report. This project is still in review at this time. Liz will continue to monitor any movement and report to the board as needed.

New Business:
Merryl brought up the concept of the GPNA having a Mission Statement. She handed out a nice (albeit long) set of Mission statements. Questions arose as to what the outcomes would be upon adopting a Missin Statement. She will review this at the next meeting as time was running short. Ron had another suggestion of the possibility of an End of the year celebration for Grant Park neighbors.

Meeting adjourned at 8:55pm
Minutes submitted by Mary Cal Hanson

|

In the 'Hood

About GPNA

Other Info


This site: GrantPark-NA.org, is maintained by the Grant Park Neighborhood Association, Portland, OR.
© Copyright 2005. All rights rerserved.