The GPNA Meeting Minutes
Grant Park Neighborhood Association
Grant Park Church
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 7:00pm
The Meeting was chaired by Michael Kinney
- Board Members:
- Michael Kinney
- Ron Laster
- KC Davenport
- Kathy Bang
- Mike Heymann
- Geoff Hyde
- Andy Mones
- Mary Cal Hanson
- Karen Plemons
- Sara Wild
- Total Atteandance Count: 13
- Board Members:
- Merryl Mix
- Elizabeth Beeghly
- Agenda approved. Previous minute: unable to approve at this time. GPNA members will try to rewrite minutes from memory as we are currently unable to obtain minutes from previous secretary (Karen Plemmons).
- Treasury report: $3,450.74, nothing outstanding.
- Friends of Grant Park Bowl (FGPB): no activity to date.
- Land Use issues: Albina fuel update: the project is currently undergoing a mandatory design review. There will be a public meeting on October 19th @ 1:30 pm at SW ave location. The developers will show that they've made some changes and complied w/ the community requests for modifications to the project.
US Bank update: one neighbor in attendance who voiced concern about the 10-15 foot height increase over code on this project. This neighbor felt strongly that since it is on the border of business and neighborhood that the height restrictions should be maintained. Kathy Bang explained that indeed the developer is requesting this height variance of an extra 10 feet in the front of the building (city max is 45 ft) and then an additional 15 ft in the rear of the bldg (city max is 55 feet at Tillamook).
- Grant High School (GHS) update: Kim Patterson (VP liaison) and Brian Shittart(sp) (GHS VP) talked about the "trash" issue. Currently they are working on a Trash Initiative and have purchased more trashcans to be placed around the GHS campus, but not the park area. They've established community service hours for their students and have a trash pick up once a month for students to acquire the community service hours. Will be checking in with local restaurants to see if they might be willing to pay for the students to pick up trash in the neighborhood. Primarily on the walking routes to and from these businesses. GHS has a "good neighbor" training day for all incoming freshman.
- Graffiti: The PPS has 1 man for all 94 schools to remove graffiti. GHS will work on having cans of paint on campus for the students to cover the graffiti as community service hours. Contact either Kim or Brian at 503-916-5160 re: any concerns during school hours. Cingulair® will be placing a communications tower on top of the smoke stacks located on campus. Neighbors need to call the police if/when they notice students doing any damage/danger.
- Hollyrood school update: One of the neighborhood attendees voice some concern/confusion over the closure of Hollyrood school. Katie will look into this w/ PPS and verify the information. The update will be part of the next newsletter and can also be found on the GPNA website
- Safety & Livability: Quincy Cohen (sp) one of the NE area police officer was in attendance. He passed out recent criminal activity from the area. There are no police officers that patrol GHS exclusively. But GHS does have officers on site for school activity. Quincy recommended calling the police for ALL criminal activity noticed. Theft, car break ins etc need to be reported for better tracking purposes. Also Quincy stressed the need to call 911 for any witnessed crime. For crimes that are discovered after the fact please use the non-emergent number. Portland police are still several hundred officers short staffed.
- GP church update: the church has applied for a Conditional Use (CU) permit so that they can increase the schools activity to 7 days/week and increase student body also. Currently the school is running activities 5 days/week. Several staff members were in attendance. Peter Fry explained about the CU permit and how they filed it to increase the days of operation and number of students. A history was given to those in attendance. Skip Adams (director of the PDX International school) spoke and explained how currently the school has 32 students and 7 staff members along w/ parent volunteers. The growth plan is to have 60 students and staff. Hours of operation are currently at 9am - 3:35 pm 5 days/week and 6pm- 9pm 5days/week. The student body consists of mainly ESL students from lower socio-economical background. There are always 2 adults on site. Tri-met bus passes are offered to the students. The school is part of the PPS system and is run under the Ecumenical Church ministries of Oregon. Contact Kathleen Stokes @ 503-823-7843 or 503-232-5334 (daytime) for issues/concerns.
- GPNA bylaws: second reading/modification. The boundary streets need to be updated.
- New Business:
Whole foods traffic issue: a neighbor attended the meeting to inquire who to contact re: increased traffic concerns w/ the new grocer planning on going into the sight on Sandy. The number to contact is 503-823-7233 (SAFE). Neighbor told to leave message, name and phone number. Will be assigned a case number and contacted in 1-2 days.
There's a new BBQ restaurant on Broadway and 34th that is smoking out a neighbor every day. Recommended calling this problem in as a nuisance @ 503-823-7306.
- Meeting adjourned at 21:10. Minutes submitted by Mary Cal Hanson
In the 'Hood